Wednesday, June 17, 2009

More shrinky-dink earrings

Another pair of earrings for my friend today. This time using shrinkydinks. I know that she's a huge Zelda fan, so I figured I'd work with that. I also figured today would be a good day to experiment with using permanent markers on the shrinkydink plastic.

Before:


After:


The colors come out MUCH darker with permanent marker. Parts of Link are done only in colored pencil, and some parts are also a mixture of both media.

I also sealed the drawn side with clear nail polish. Without the nail polish, the rough side feels like painted wood, and I worry that if the piece gets wet, the colors might run (who the hell knows. It's permanent marker, but then, it's also been through the toaster oven).

I'm pretty certain my friend's gonna love these earrings.

2 comments:

Candy Bello said...

how cute!!

:)
candy

Miriam said...

What kind of colored pencils do you use? I always get better results with Prismacolors. Varnish is a good idea, though. I have known drawn sides to smear a bit.