Wednesday, April 23, 2008

April's Reading List and a love note to the library

April's been a great month for reading, what with my starting to take public transportation to work and the ample free time I have on my Mondays and Tuesdays off. I figured that in addition to my other geeky pursuits, I could share with you a list of what I've been reading and what I plan to read in upcoming months (which will be covered in my next post... I don't want to overwhelm you).

I have already created a "request" list at the Berkeley Public Library (note to self: get Oakland membership! You don't live in Berkeley anymore!) of all the books I saw at Barnes and Noble that enthralled me in one way or another. The best part of a library is that it's free (mostly. My taxes go there) and they're willing to provide nifty services like creating a waiting list for popular books and holding onto those you want until you get there.

A love note to the library:
Dear Library,

I know it's been a while since I visited you. When last I went, I took full advantage of your freeinternet (which I didn't have available at home because I'd just moved to California) and cheap printing and copying. You have an awesome selection of foreign films and world musiccds. Although your selection of science fiction books is lacking, you make up for it with enthusiasm. All my love,
Misti

Ok, also, get a look at the adorable branch library near me! It's a cottage. Sandwiched between 2 other cottages. It's tiny!


Reading List!

Iron Kissed - Patricia Briggs
An urban werewolf/vampire fantasy. The third in a series. I read it without putting it down and it was amazing. The book only gets better after you've met Ms. Briggs whose sweetness is tempered by an absolute excitement for everything she writes. Exciting and a good story!


Teach with Your Heart - Erin Gruwell
A memoir and dissection of the formative years of the Freedom Writers program started by Erin Gruwell. In many ways it's wonderful and heartbreaking and moving. It's also very disturbing to enter the lives of these inner city kids who have never heard of the holocaust but are living in their own sort of war-zone every day.


Everything Bad is Good for You - Steven Johnson
An essay (or maybe a thesis) on the expanding nature of pop culture and an interesting hypothesis of how Pop Culture is becoming increasingly complex and forcing us to think more; not less as so many critics have suggested. The book has some good arguments but some points seem to have weak support and portions seem more like a truncated college thesis.


The Kids are Alright: How the Gamer Generation is Changing the Workplace - John Beck & Mitchell Wade
Pretty much as described by the title, this book attempts to discern the way the gamer generation will interact with their peers and bosses when they enter the work-place. The authors use actual studies to back up their assertions. This book also has a keen window into the potential benefits of playing games. At least I don't feel as much that I'm wasting my time when I play games!


Intern: A Doctor's Initiation - Sandeep Jauhar
My work at the hospital has increased my interest in how doctors think and what sort of experiences change the way they view thier profession. In that vein, this book was the perfect descriptor of the formative years of a doctor as Sandeep Jauhar recounts his long and winding journey towards becoming a cardiologist. The book presents a lot of interesting anecdotes but also ends a bit too quickly for my taste.

No comments: