Thursday, March 13, 2008

Reconnection by correspondence

Although I've never much been in the habit of letter-writing, I do find the whole endeavor to be particularly fun and amusing when I've got something adorable to send my letters in. Since I was in high school, I've been of the opinion that home-made envelopes really give your communications a nice punch that will make the folks receiving them impressed and pleased that they got something that required so much effort.

Recently, I wrote up a newsletter to send to my friends who haven't really heard from me since we graduated from college earlier this year. I'm generally very bad at staying in touch with people, but making beautiful envelopes for a newsletter provides the motivation I need to actually get my butt in gear.

The post office will send just about anything that has a stamp, assuming it's not too heavy, and I've discovered that a lot of magazine full page advertisements have interesting patterns and shapes and are the right size for some beautiful envelopes.
the supplies you need to create your own envelopes
The process of making them is also not too difficult. Find an evelope of the right size, deconstruct it, trace it onto oaktag (aka, the ever popular manilla folder), and cut it out. This is your tracing stencil. Trace the stencil onto the back of the magazine page you want on the outside of your envelope (I usually use a sharpie because it'll be visible even on black advertisements). Fold in all the edges and glue 3 of them together. You can seal your envelope with more glue, or you can do what I do and try to find some nifty stickers that match the theme.

Your friends will appreciate all that hard work when they open their mailboxes and find not only a letter from you, but that you made their envelope as well!

Here are some examples of a few envelopes I've made:




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that's flipping awesome. If I had magazines, I would definitely follow suit.

Stamping Ideas With Peg said...

If you send me your email I will send you some more information about the stamp set Sassy Suzy. Thank you for the nice comment. Peg